So I kinda need March to hurry on up...after all, my birthday is like a national holiday.
I've had some incredible life experiences. I lost my Grandmother then my Mom the next year. I had my heart broken and divorced. I drained my savings to put food on the table. And through it all, I can look back and feel as though the universe has taught me a lot. It amazes me that I've made it through it all. And it amazes me that I'm 37 because I feel like I've just begun to live life!
So as this year comes to a close, allow me the opportunity to reflect on a handful of lessons I've learned.
- "Being good does not mean good things will happen." It's true. Bad things can happen to good people. And it sucks.
- Always be truthful. No good comes from lying. Feelings may get hurt, but you'll always be able to look yourself in the mirror if you're honest.
- Change is inevitable. People change. Circumstances change. But life is short. Move on.
- Don't let the little things get to you. Don't sweat the small stuff. It's so not worth it.
- Be social. But remember, in this digital age, nothing is secret.
- Slow down. We all stand to lose at one time or another, but we can also gain so much. But you won't notice it if you don't take a breath and celebrate what's around you.
- "Love is hope. It fuels are dreams, and if you're in it, you need to enjoy it because love doesn't always last forever." I love a good fairy tale ending. But happily ever after may be questionable at best. So when you are blessed with true love, take it with both hands and don't let go.
- Create. It's so good for the soul.
- Money doesn't buy happiness, but it sure does help. Being able to pay bills is kinda a big deal. Don't go into debt. Better yet, take control of your finances. Don't let someone else take charge of your money.
- Practice gratitude. Everything is connected. And when you're grateful, positive energy surrounds you, and the universe smiles.
And these lessons make me the woman going into the new year.